This vegan okonomiyaki recipe is impressed by the Japanese-style savoury pancake made with shredded cabbage and protein-rich chickpea flour. It’s a 30 minute weeknight-friendly dinner, served alongside some roasted Japanese candy potatoes or greens!
For those who requested me the 2 issues I liked most – aside from my family and friends in fact! – this dietitian would say meals (duh!) and journey. I didn’t get to journey a lot as a child however in my late teenagers and early 20s, I greater than made up for it once I packed myself up and determined to journey and work my manner round a lot of Asia.
And once I say “Asia” I imply it: I’ve been fortunate sufficient to journey from Beijing and Tokyo within the Northeast to Indonesia and Singapore within the Southeast. There are nonetheless just a few spots on my Asia bucket listing, however I’ve lined a LOT of territory. And people youth have actually influenced the plant-based recipes I like to eat, and prepare dinner.
You’ll see it quite a bit in my books…like this vegan okonomiyaki recipe which is from Good For your Gut Cookbook. It’s impressed by the point I spent in Osaka, Japan, dwelling of the Osaka-style okonomiyaki.
I used to be vegetarian again then, besides, it was the nineties and it was actually arduous to search out vegetarian meals for somebody who didn’t converse the language nicely. So I ate a variety of do-it-yourself udon, and tons of egg salad sandwiches, inari sushi and yogurts from the konbini (comfort shops). So it was such a deal with for me to go to an okonomiyaki restaurant the place I may get an genuine vegetarian meal!
After all, now I’m totally plant-based so I needed to adapt one among my nostalgic faves for the way I eat now.
Osaka-style okonomiyaki is a savoury egg pancake that’s blended with greens (sometimes cabbage and mountain yam) and proteins and grilled. It’s a flexible dish: its identify actually means what you want (okonomi) + grilled (yaki). Actually, in Osaka, you possibly can go to okonomiyaki eating places the place you order your selection of elements after which griddle it your self, which is the place I first tried this standard road meals!
Nonetheless, this recipe shouldn’t be a conventional type of okonomiyaki. I really like utilizing chickpea flour rather than eggs – it’s my secret to a killer vegan breakfast sandwich – so I’ve substituted chickpea flour for the eggs and flour, and there’s no mountain yam.
And naturally, this recipe is vegan! It’s my veganized model of the one which turned a household staple over a decade in the past, the tofu okonomiyaki recipe I found in Chatelaine journal years again. If you wish to see a extra conventional type vegan okonomiyaki, Lisa at OkonomiKitchen has a great one.
Seize your elements for this simple vegan okonomiyaki recipe
If okonomiyaki is new to you, you’ll be stunned how simple this recipe is! Simply 8 core elements…a lot of which you probably have in your pantry proper now.
- Chickpea flour: widespread in South Asian delicacies, besan (chickpea flour) is a superb various to eggs in vegan dishes. It’s wealthy in plant-based protein and fiber and holds collectively nicely. In a pinch, chickpea-fava flour can even work right here
- Coleslaw combine: this recipe wants little or no chopping because of storebought coleslaw combine! Be happy to make use of a conventional slaw, a kale slaw combination or simply finely shred some cabbage your self.
- Smoked tofu: smoked tofu provides a bacon-y flavour to this recipe and provides a ton of protein.
- Inexperienced onions: Provides a ton of flavour…don’t skip them!
- Sesame Oil: Each time I say sesame oil, I imply darkish toasted sesame oil which has a wealthy, nutty flavour.
- Shiro Miso: That is the lightest type of miso, additionally referred to as white miso, because it has the shortest fermentation time of conventional miso.
- Vegan Mayo: Don’t skip this half! Sauce makes every part extra scrumptious. I’ve an superior vegan avocado oil mayo recipe should you don’t have any readily available.
- Pickled (Sushi) Ginger: I actually just like the Ginger Individuals pickled ginger, which isn’t dyed pink and doesn’t have synthetic sweeteners however use no matter you’ll find.
FAQ: is chickpea flour wholesome?
Chickpea flour is solely finely floor dried chickpeas, so sure, it’s filled with diet! Besan (chickpea flour) is a high fiber food, with about 3 grams of fibre per ¼ cup (60 ml) and it additionally incorporates about 5 grams of plant-based protein together with potassium, iron and zinc.
Tips on how to make vegan okonomiyaki
Vegan okonomiyaki in about half-hour? Sure please! There are a few steps concerned, however they’re very, quite simple…so let’s get going!
Step One: hydrate the flour by mixing the chickpea flour, salt and water and letting it sit for 10 minutes to thicken when you slice up the tofu and inexperienced onions.
Step two: combine the sesame oil and miso collectively and rub the sliced tofu with it. Combine the inexperienced onions and cabbage into the chickpea batter.
Step three: Fry the tofu on each side in a nonstick pan, then unfold the chickpea batter evenly over the tofu. Cowl with a lid to steam for a couple of minutes, then fastidiously flip and prepare dinner the opposite aspect for a couple of minutes.
Step 4: combine the mayo with the chopped ginger and serve on the aspect!
Suggestions, methods and substitutions
- This okonomiyaki is greatest on the day it’s made. Nonetheless, it is going to maintain for two days within the fridge. Strive leftovers as a sandwich filling with leftover ginger mayo, fast pickled carrots and a few greens.
- Okonomiyaki is historically served with mayo and okonomiyaki sauce, which you possibly can additionally veganize! Just one cookbook has a very good okonomiyaki sauce recipe you possibly can sub with vegan elements.
Extra scrumptious vegan “egg” recipes
Vegan Okonomiyaki with Chickpea Flour
This vegan okonomiyaki recipe is impressed by the Japanese-style savoury pancake made with shredded cabbage and protein-rich chickpea flour. It is a 30 minute weeknight-friendly dinner, served alongside some roasted Japanese candy potatoes or greens!
- 1 ½ cups chickpea flour
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 packed cups coleslaw combine, or finely shredded cabbage
- 3 inexperienced onions, thinly sliced
- 1 package deal smoked tofu
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shiro (white) miso paste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ cup pickled ginger, finely chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively chickpea flour, water and salt. Let sit when you put together the tofu, inexperienced onions and ginger mayo.
Slice tofu into ¼ inch (½ cm) slices. In a small bowl, combine collectively sesame oil and miso. Rub each side of the tofu with miso combination.
In one other small bowl, combine collectively mayo and ginger. Put aside. Stir the cabbage and inexperienced onions into the chickpea batter and also you’re able to prepare dinner!
Warmth up avocado oil in a medium nonstick skillet on medium warmth. Organize tofu strips within the pan and prepare dinner till browned, about three minutes. Flip tofu and pour chickpea combination over high.
Cook dinner for 3 minutes extra to brown tofu, then cut back warmth to medium low and canopy with a lid to steam the okonomiyaki for about 3-4 min till set on one aspect.
Subsequent, you’re going to flip it: place a plate over the skillet and flip the okonomiyaki onto the plate. Rigorously slide the okonomiyaki again into the skillet, improve warmth to medium and prepare dinner till gently browned on the underside, about 4-5 minutes.
Reduce into quarters and serve with a dollop of mayo on high.