This sausage stuffing recipe ready with Italian sausage, kale, and provolone cheese is a superb mixture of savory, hearty, and tacky. It’s the proper option to combine up your conventional stuffing routine.
This Italian sausage stuffing goes method again in my household. It’s a beautiful recipe for these of you seeking to break away from extra conventional choices. Stale bread cubes combined with onions, celery, garlic, and completely browned Italian sausage absorb the flavors of festive, savory herbs. Including tomato paste and wilted kale offers this heartwarming aspect a Tuscan twist that I simply can’t get sufficient of, however the true kicker is the smattering of melted provolone cheese all through. It’s a deal with!
Why We Love This Sausage Stuffing
- Not your typical stuffing. As a lot as I really like my traditional Traditional Stuffing Recipe, that is such a enjoyable break from the norm.
- Versatile. It’s to swap elements out and in of this recipe to make it your individual. Strive a distinct cheese. Experiment with candy, delicate, or spicy sausage. Swap kale out for a distinct inexperienced. Be happy to get inventive!
- Make-ahead magic. Holidays can get hectic, and it’s nice to have a dish or two you can also make forward of time to attenuate the strain the day of. That is one in every of them.
Elements For Sausage Stuffing
- Stale white bread – I take advantage of white bread because it simply soaks up all of the flavors that you just add to it.
- Veggies – Yellow onions, celery, and garlic.
- Gentle or sizzling Italian sausage – You’ll want to take away the casings earlier than browning.
- Paprika – Candy or smoked will work.
- Tomato paste
- Herbs and seasoning – Dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried sage, salt and pepper.
- Kale – Spinach, chard, or collard greens would additionally do the trick.
- Low-sodium hen broth – You might use beef broth as a substitute.
- Contemporary parsley
- Cubed provolone cheese – Muenster is a good substitute for Provolone cheese right here. Swiss cheese or mozzarella would additionally do the trick.
Easy methods to Make Sausage Stuffing
- Prep. Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.
- Saute the veggies. Soften butter over medium-high warmth in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and celery and saute for a few minutes.
- Brown the sausage. Add the garlic, sausage, and paprika. Cook dinner the meat till browned and cooked by way of, breaking it up as you go. Stir in tomato paste, herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir within the kale and prepare dinner till softened.
- Add liquid. Stir within the broth, convey it to a simmer, and take away from the warmth.
- Put all of it collectively. Whisk collectively the eggs and parsley in a big mixing bowl, add the bread cubes and the sausage combination, and stir to mix. Stir within the cheese.
- Bake. Switch the stuffing to the ready baking pan and scatter the remaining butter excessive. Bake for half-hour coated and 20 minutes uncovered.
- Select the appropriate bread. This stuffing has a lot occurring when it comes to taste. You need to select a reasonably impartial bread that can absorb the entire flavors and allow them to shine. I have a tendency towards plain white bread however be at liberty to experiment.
- Dry bread cubes. It could be tempting to disregard the “stale” within the “stale bread cubes” however you’ll be sorry should you do. Utilizing bread cubes that aren’t stale will finish you with soggy, mushy stuffing. Pop them within the oven at 350°F for ~12-Quarter-hour to dry out should you don’t have stale bread readily available.
- Low sodium. I extremely suggest utilizing low-sodium broth right here. You need to enable your self the chance to regulate the seasoning of the general dish to your liking. As a result of the sausage on this recipe inevitably brings lots of flavors to the desk, selecting a low-sodium broth will show you how to take again that management.
- Be mild. When combining the bread cubes, sausage/broth combination, and eggs, you need to combine simply till every part is mixed. Overworking the combination will trigger the bread cubes to interrupt aside and change into mushy.
How To Put together Sausage Stuffing In Advance
Unfold the stuffing right into a baking dish and, as a substitute of baking it, enable it to chill, cowl it tightly with plastic wrap, and preserve it within the fridge as much as 1 day upfront. When the time comes, take away it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes earlier than baking it simply as you usually would.
Easy methods to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- To retailer. As soon as the stuffing has cooled fully, cowl it tightly with a double layer of plastic wrap or seal it in an hermetic container. Sausage stuffing will preserve within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
- To reheat. Permit the stuffing to thaw within the fridge (if relevant) earlier than baking, coated with aluminum foil, at 350°F for half-hour after which uncovered for one more 10 minutes.
Vacation Aspect Dish Concepts
Don’t let this magnificent stuffing hang around alone. Pair it with one or two or the entire following vacation sides.
- 1 pound stale white bread, cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided, plus extra for baking dish
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound delicate or sizzling Italian sausage, casings eliminated
- ½ tablespoon candy or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- salt and recent floor black pepper, to style
- 1 bunch kale, stems eliminated, chopped (1 bunch simply refers to how a lot you’ll be able to seize in a single hand)
- 3 cups low sodium hen broth or beef broth
- 2 giant eggs
- ¼ cup chopped recent parsley
- 1 cup cubed provolone cheese
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Butter a 3-quart baking dish and put aside.
In a Dutch oven, soften 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high warmth. Add onions and celery and prepare dinner for two minutes.
Add garlic and stir within the sausage and paprika; prepare dinner, breaking apart the meat with a picket spoon for about 6 minutes, or till cooked by way of and browned.
Stir in tomato paste and season with thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper. Add the kale and prepare dinner for 3 minutes or till softened. Add the broth and produce to a simmer; take away from warmth and put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and parsley. Add within the ready bread cubes and the sausage combination; stir to mix. Stir within the cheese.
Switch to the baking dish.
Chop the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into a number of items and dot over the stuffing.
Cowl with foil and bake for half-hour.
Take away foil and proceed to bake for 20 minutes, or till golden brown.
Take away from oven and serve.
- Bread cubes: I virtually at all times select plain, sliced white bread because it simply soaks up all the nice flavors that you just add to it. When you determine to make your individual bread cubes, I counsel baking/drying them at 350˚F for Quarter-hour however begin checking at 12 minutes.
- To Make Forward: Put together this dish sooner or later forward, however don’t bake it. Cowl the baking dish and set it within the fridge in a single day. When able to bake it, take it out of the fridge and let it stand for 20 minutes on the counter to convey it near room temperature. Bake and serve heat.
- If you don’t want to make use of kale, attempt it with spinach or different hearty greens, like chard or collard greens.
- Muenster is a superb substitute for Provolone cheese. Swiss cheese is sweet, too, and you may at all times use mozzarella.
Energy: 491 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 23 g | Fats: 28 g | Saturated Fats: 13 g | Ldl cholesterol: 115 mg | Sodium: 628 mg | Potassium: 579 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 2615 IU | Vitamin C: 26.2 mg | Calcium: 339 mg | Iron: 3.8 mg
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in line with the elements and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.