Dinner in below half-hour? Who may say no to that!? This Mongolian hen is made with juicy, bite-sized items of hen sauteed to golden brown after which completed in a velvety, savory-sweet sauce loaded with punches of garlic and ginger.
Like many, I’ve a particular fondness for Chinese language takeout, notably Mongolian Hen. The flexibility to recreate this dish at house in about half-hour is much more interesting. It options juicy hen items completely caramelized and tossed in a deliciously clean garlicky sauce. This sauce balances the candy and savory, making certain every chew of hen is coated with a burst of tasty Asian-inspired flavors.
What Is Mongolian Hen?
- Mongolian hen is a extremely in style Chinese language-American entree. It’s typically comprised of bite-sized items of hen which can be browned up in a sizzling pan after which completed in a savory, barely candy sauce that coats each chew in a velvety blanket of taste.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Fast. This Mongolian hen recipe actually solely takes minutes from begin to end. It’s the proper busy weeknight meal.
- Dynamic flavors. Between the intense chew of the contemporary garlic and ginger, the salty umami of the soy sauce, the nuttiness of the toasted sesame oil, and the slight trace of sweetness from the honey, the sauce for this scrumptious entree is simply exploding with taste.
- Customizable. It’s straightforward to experiment with this Chinese language-American traditional. Add some sauteed veggies, flip up the warmth with purple pepper flakes or sauteed chilis, use a special protein, and many others.
Elements For Mongolian Hen
- Boneless skinless hen breasts: You might simply use sliced pork or beef right here as a substitute.
- Cornstarch: This actually helps the meat get a pleasant golden brown end. It’s also used within the sauce to assist thicken it, giving it a luscious, velvety consistency.
- Low-sodium soy sauce: Utilizing low-sodium soy sauce provides you extra management over the flavour profile of the completed product.
- Hen inventory: Vegetable inventory would additionally work.
- Honey: A little bit brown sugar is an effective substitution.
- Canola oil: You might additionally use vegetable oil or avocado oil.
- Toasted sesame oil: I just like the wealthy and nutty taste that toasted sesame oil brings.
- Garlic: I used contemporary garlic, however you possibly can use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Freshly grated ginger: You might use floor ginger, however the contemporary stuff lends a a lot brighter taste.
- Inexperienced onions: You’ll solely want the inexperienced elements. Save the white bulbs for an additional recipe.
How you can Make Mongolian Hen
- Coat the hen. Toss the hen in 1/2 cup cornstarch.
- Make the sauce. Whisk collectively the soy sauce, hen inventory, and honey. Individually, whisk collectively 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water after which whisk that into the sauce.
- Brown the hen. Warmth the canola oil over medium-high warmth and add the hen, sauteing till golden brown. Take away the hen from the wok.
- Sauté the aromatics. Add the toasted sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger to the wok and sauté till aromatic.
- Add the sauce. Stir within the sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
- Put all of it collectively. Stir the hen into the sauce and cook dinner for 2-3 minutes, stirring sometimes. Stir within the inexperienced onions.
- Even-sizes. Make sure to slice your hen into even-sized items to make sure even cook dinner time.
- Low-sodium soy sauce. I extremely advocate utilizing low-sodium soy sauce. You’ll be able to all the time add a bit salt (or additional soy sauce) however you’ll be able to’t take it away. Utilizing a low-sodium product gives you rather more management over the ultimate taste of the dish.
- Use the proper pan. It’s finest to make use of a wok for this recipe. Woks do a terrific job at evenly distributing warmth over their whole floor space, making them supreme for quick-cooking stir-fry dishes comparable to this one. If you happen to don’t have a wok, use a big, heavy-bottomed skillet to realize related outcomes.
- Prep Forward. When you begin including issues to the wok, all the pieces goes to maneuver comparatively rapidly. You need to have all your substances prepped and shut by so to sustain with the tempo of this quick-cooking dish. Mince your garlic, grate your ginger, and whisk collectively the sauce earlier than you activate the warmth.
- Don’t crowd the wok. When browning the hen, watch out to not crowd the wok. If you happen to do, the hen will steam as a substitute of brown, leading to a troublesome, rubbery meat.
Chinese language Mongolian hen is often served with a facet of steamed white rice. You might attempt my Instant Pot Jasmine Rice or make my favourite, Shrimp Fried Rice or Teriyaki Noodles. I additionally love Mongolian hen topped with Sesame Snap Peas, Baby Bok Choy, or my Crispy Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli. For one thing extra refreshing, make this Sesame Cucumber Salad.
How you can Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- To retailer, let the hen cool utterly earlier than sealing it in an hermetic container. You’ll be able to maintain it within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw it within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- To reheat, heat a little bit of oil in a saute pan over medium-high warmth. Add the leftovers and saute till heated by means of. You might additionally warmth particular person parts within the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between every, till heat.
Fast And Simple Hen Recipes
Coat the hen. In a big bowl, toss the hen with 1/2 cup cornstarch till effectively coated.
Make the sauce. In a separate bowl, whisk collectively the soy sauce, hen inventory, and honey. In one other bowl, whisk collectively 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water till clean, after which whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce. Put aside.
Brown the hen. In a big skillet or wok, warmth the canola oil over medium-high warmth. Add the hen and cook dinner till golden brown on all sides, stirring regularly. Take away the hen from the wok and put aside.
Sauté the aromatics. To the identical wok, add the toasted sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté for 15 seconds or till aromatic.
Add the sauce. Stir the soy sauce combination into the wok and let it simmer for a few minutes till thickened.
End. Return the hen to the wok and stir to coat it within the sauce. Cook dinner for a further 2 to three minutes or till the hen is cooked by means of, stirring sometimes.
Garnish and serve. Stir the inexperienced onions into the Mongolian hen and serve sizzling.
- Uniform Hen Items: Lower the hen into even-sized items for constant cooking.
- Management the Salt: Go for low-sodium soy sauce. Including additional salt or soy sauce later is simpler than correcting an excessively salty dish.
- Proper Cookware: A wok is your best option for this recipe as a consequence of its glorious warmth distribution, which is essential for stir-fry dishes. A big, heavy-bottomed skillet is usually a good various.
- Preparation is Key: Have all substances prepared and inside attain earlier than beginning. The cooking course of is quick, so mince the garlic, grate the ginger, and blend the sauce beforehand.
- Keep away from Overcrowding: When browning the hen within the wok, guarantee it’s not overcrowded. An excessive amount of hen without delay can result in steaming relatively than browning, leading to robust and rubbery meat.
- Storage: Switch leftovers to an hermetic container and maintain them within the fridge for as much as 3 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months.
Serving: 6 ounces | Energy: 353 kcal | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Protein: 36 g | Fats: 11 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5 g | Trans Fats: 0.04 g | Ldl cholesterol: 97 mg | Sodium: 1341 mg | Potassium: 723 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 12 g | Vitamin A: 126 IU | Vitamin C: 4 mg | Calcium: 26 mg | Iron: 1 mg
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might differ in keeping with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.