This French Onion Pasta is tossed with sautéed mushrooms and completely caramelized onions coated in a wealthy, velvety sauce of white wine, gruyere, and heavy cream. Add some roasted hen to the combo, and also you’ve bought your self a full meal.
Simple French Onion Pasta Recipe
If you happen to’re searching for a easy and easily scrumptious meal to make your busy life simpler however nonetheless tasty, this French onion pasta is your reply. Relive the basic French onion soup style with completely tender pasta that soaks up the flavour of the wealthy, velvety sauce it’s cooked in. This one-pot meal is loaded with caramelized onions, tender items of hen, hints of thyme, and sauteed mushrooms. It’s completed with only a contact of cream and a beneficiant portion of gruyere cheese that simply melts into the sauce, coating the pasta in a easy, heartwarming taste.
Why You’ll Love This Pasta
- One-pot marvel. You’ll roast the hen individually, however the remainder is all cooked in a single pot for straightforward cleanup!
- Wealthy Taste. Suppose caramelized onions, nutty gruyere, white wine, and a contact of herbs for a satisfying chunk.
- Creamy goodness. Melty, nutty Gruyere blends with heavy cream to make one irresistible, creamy sauce.
French Onion Pasta Elements
- Rooster thighs are what I exploit for this recipe, however you may use hen breasts as an alternative.
- Olive oil is used for the hen and for the sauce.
- Salt & Pepper to season.
- Butter for the onions.
- Yellow Onions are all the time my go-to, however Vidalia onions would work, too.
- Cremini Mushrooms are my selection, however white button mushrooms would additionally work.
- Contemporary thyme or use dried thyme as an alternative.
- White wine, or you may use some apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar as an alternative.
- Quick pasta like orecchiette, however mezze rigatoni, farfalle, or fusilli would do the trick as properly.
- Beef broth
- Heavy cream
- Freshly grated gruyere cheese will soften into the sauce rather more easily.
- Contemporary parsley
The best way to Make French Onion Pasta
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Season the hen. Toss the hen with olive oil, salt, and pepper and switch it to the baking sheet; bake for half-hour. When it’s achieved, take away it from the oven and chop the hen into bite-sized items.
- Caramelize the onions. Warmth the olive oil and butter over medium warmth. Add the onions and cook dinner them over medium-low warmth for 30 to 40 minutes till caramelized, stirring often.
- Sauté the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook dinner till the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the white wine and stir till it has principally evaporated.
- Prepare dinner the pasta. Stir the pasta and the meat broth into the mushroom combination and boil. Cut back the warmth to low and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Thicken the sauce. Whisk collectively the cornstarch and water and stir it into the pasta. Prepare dinner for a further 2 minutes.
- End it off. Flip off the warmth and stir within the hen, adopted by the heavy cream and the gruyere. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe Ideas & Variations
- Preserve the broth close to you when caramelizing the onions. Add broth as wanted if the pan begins to dry up.
- Be affected person and caramelize the onions so they’re a deep brown. The flavour will deepen with the colour, and it takes a while to get to that.
- Preserve stirring the pasta ceaselessly because it cooks, or it would follow the underside of the pot.
- Use rotisserie hen as an alternative of roasting your individual to avoid wasting time. Take away the meat from the bone and shred it or chop it up.
- Make it vegetarian, and miss the hen on this recipe.
- Add veggies like spinach on the finish and let it wilt into the pasta dish. Or add diced, roasted asparagus or one other veggie of your selecting.
- Strive a special cheese if you need. Gruyere is paying homage to French onion soup, however you should use freshly grated parmesan or pecorino.
The best way to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. As soon as the pasta has cooled to room temperature, seal it in an hermetic container and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for 3 months. Thaw earlier than reheating.
- To reheat. Switch the leftover pasta to a baking dish, cowl with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 10-Quarter-hour or till heated by way of.
Extra Simple Pasta Dishes
For the hen
Prep. Preheat the oven to levels 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Season the hen. Toss the hen, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl till the hen is totally coated.
Roast. Prepare the hen on the baking sheet and bake for half-hour or till a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest a part of the most important piece reads 165˚F.
Chop. Switch the hen to a chopping board and chop it into bite-sized items.
For the pasta and sauce
Caramelize the onions. In the meantime, warmth the olive oil and butter over medium till the butter has melted. Add the onions and season with salt. Give all the pieces an excellent stir, scale back the warmth to medium-low, and cook dinner the onions for 30 to 40 minutes or till very mushy and caramelized, stir them often. If you happen to discover the pan begins to get dry, stir in a splash of water or beef broth.
Sauté the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan with the caramelized onions. Flip the warmth to medium, and sauté till the mushrooms are properly browned.
Deglaze the pan. Add the white wine and stir till it has principally evaporated.
Prepare dinner the pasta. Stir the pasta and the meat broth into the caramelized onion combination. Flip the warmth to medium-high and convey the combination to a boil. Cut back the warmth to low and let simmer for 8 minutes, stirring often.
Thicken the sauce. Whisk collectively the cornstarch and water and stir it into the pasta. Prepare dinner for a further 2 minutes.
End it off. Flip off the warmth and stir within the hen, adopted by the heavy cream and the gruyere. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Serve. Serve the pasta in bowls and garnish with recent parsley.
- Rooster: I favor hen thighs, however hen breasts are an excellent different. Simply tweak the cooking time. For a fast repair, swap in shredded rotisserie hen.
- Mushrooms: Although I like to make use of cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms are an excellent substitute.
- Wine Different: As an alternative of white wine, take into account apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar.
- Pasta: I like utilizing quick pasta like orecchiette, however rigatoni, farfalle, or fusilli work nice too. Stir the pasta typically whereas cooking to stop sticking.
- Sauce: For a creamier texture, go for freshly grated gruyere cheese. You can too use parmesan cheese.
- Caramelizing Onions: Take your time with cooking the onions to realize a deep caramelized shade. Additionally, have beef broth useful when working with the onions, and add some in if the pan begins to look dry.
Serving: 2 cups | Energy: 485 kcal | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Protein: 34 g | Fats: 19 g | Saturated Fats: 7 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 132 mg | Sodium: 1246 mg | Potassium: 889 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 664 IU | Vitamin C: 11 mg | Calcium: 138 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 39 g
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values could range in response to the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.