These Cajun fries take a traditional French fry recipe and switch it into one thing spectacular. Fried to completely crispy golden brown and tossed in a savory, smoky, spicy seasoning, these dippable goodies are really one thing to jot down residence about.
I don’t learn about you, however I’m a French fry nut. I might have them any day, twice a day, if I may. What’s even higher than French fries, although? Cajun fries. Smoked paprika, spunky cayenne, garlic powder, and extra come collectively within the good pop of Cajun flare that may have you ever licking your lips and diving in for extra.
Why You’ll Love This Cajun Fries Recipe
- Somewhat warmth. The factor that basically makes these fries stand out is the seasoning. It supplies the proper pow of warmth and complexity in your style buds to ponder.
- Texture. That crispy fried exterior beside the delicate, cooked potato beneath it’s SO good.
- Versatile. This can be a incredible recipe for fries. The Cajun seasoning is simply the icing on the cake. Play with it as a lot as you’d like. Use kind of cayenne, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and so on., or strive concocting your very personal seasoning.
What Are Cajun Fries?
Cajun fries are merely french fries tossed in a traditional Cajun seasoning combine. I made my very own as a result of I like having full management of the flavors right here, however you can simply as simply seize a jar of Cajun seasoning from the shop.
You gained’t want a lot to make these seasoned french fries. Just a few spices, potatoes, and canola oil for frying.
- For the cajun spice combine: Smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, dried oregano, floor black pepper, and cayenne.
- Russet potatoes
- Canola oil: For frying.
This recipe requires 1-1/2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper. I like a little bit warmth right here, but when your style buds are barely much less considering spice, go forward and scale back the extent of cayenne to your liking right down to 1/4 teaspoon.
Make Cajun Fries
- Put together the seasoning. Whisk collectively the substances for the seasoning.
- Minimize the potatoes. Minimize the potatoes into skinny, even strips to make fries.
- Fry. Warmth 3 inches of oil to 360°F and fry the potato strips in batches for about 9 minutes per batch, shifting them round often for even cooking. Switch the fries to a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- Season. As soon as the oil has drained off of the fries, toss them with the Cajun seasoning.
Ideas For Success
- Constant sizes. When slicing your potatoes, make sure you hold the fries as uniform in thickness as doable to make sure even cooking.
- Temperature issues. Carry the oil as much as 360˚F earlier than you begin frying. I extremely advocate utilizing a candy thermometer to be sure to are hitting the mark. Oil that’s too cool is not going to crisp up your fries correctly. As an alternative, it can seep into the potato strips, making them soggy.
- Don’t crowd the oil. In case you attempt to prepare dinner too many potato strips directly, the oil temperature will drop shortly and you’ll find yourself with soggy fries. Fry in batches.
- Hold it shifting. Use a spider skimmer to maneuver your fries round a bit as they prepare dinner. It will assist make sure that they get good and golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Modify the spices. Be at liberty to play a little bit with the spices right here. In case you like a extra gentle french fry, lower the quantity of cayenne. Feeling drawn to that smoky taste from the smoked paprika? Use extra!
What Goes With Cajun Fries?
You’ll be able to dip these flavorful fries in a dollop of Ketchup, garlic aioli, Honey Mustard Sauce, and even my Blender Hollandaise Sauce. Hold the Cajun theme going with this recipe for Grilled Tilapia with Cajun Butter, my Slow-Cooker Cajun Jambalaya, or this easy but scrumptious Grilled Blackened Chicken. I really like fries with burgers, too. Make my Juicy Turkey Burgers, these Easy Black Bean Burgers, or my Salmon Burgers.
Retailer and Reheat Extras
- Enable the fries to chill fully earlier than sealing them in an hermetic container and storing them within the fridge for two to three days or freeze them for as much as 3 months.
- To reheat, unfold out the fries in a single layer over a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake within the oven at 425°F till heated via; 5 to 10 minutes for refrigerated fries and 10 to fifteen minutes for frozen fries.
Extra Tasty Facet Dishes to Strive
Put together the Cajun spice combine. Whisk collectively the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne.
Minimize the potatoes. Minimize the potatoes into skinny, even strips to make fries. Be certain that they’re of uniform thickness to make sure even cooking.
Put together to fry. Add 3 inches of oil to a pot and warmth it to 360°F (use a sweet thermometer). Whereas the oil is heating, set a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Fry. Add a batch of potato strips to the new oil (don’t overcrowd the pot) and fry for about 8 to 9 minutes or till golden brown and crisp, shifting round often with a spider skimmer. Take away the fries from the oil with the spider skimmer and permit them to empty on the wire rack. Carry the oil again to 360°F and repeat with the remaining fries.
Season. As soon as the oil has drained off of the fries, add them to a big bowl with the Cajun spice combine. Toss to coat the fries within the seasoning. Serve.
- Uniform Fries: Purpose for constant thickness in your potato slices for even frying.
- Proper Temperature: Warmth the oil to 360°F earlier than frying. Use a sweet thermometer for accuracy.
- Fry in Batches: Keep away from overloading the oil with too many potato strips directly to stop temperature drop and soggy fries.
- Stir for Even Cooking: Use a spider skimmer to softly stir the fries, making certain they brown and crisp evenly on all sides.
- To Style: Customise the spice ranges to your choice. Use much less cayenne for milder fries or extra smoked for a smoky contact.
Energy: 293 kcal | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Protein: 4 g | Fats: 19 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 12 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Sodium: 591 mg | Potassium: 668 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 794 IU | Vitamin C: 9 mg | Calcium: 37 mg | Iron: 2 mg
Dietary information is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might range in line with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.