Welcome to the January 2024 subject of the Newest Information in Monetary #AdvisorTech – the place we take a look at the massive information, bulletins, and underlying traits and developments which might be rising on this planet of expertise options for monetary advisors!
This month’s version kicks off with the information that held-away asset administration platform Pontera has raised $60 million in enterprise capital funding as advisors more and more search to instantly handle purchasers’ 401(ok) and different exterior property – though an ongoing investigation by Washington state regulators over whether or not advisors’ use of Pontera violates state rules on accessing information with consumer passwords, and/or employer retirement plans’ phrases of service, raises questions over whether or not Pontera (and the advisors who use it) can persuade regulators that its underlying mannequin does not violate consumer privateness.
From there, the newest highlights additionally function a lot of different attention-grabbing advisor expertise bulletins, together with:
- JPMorgan has introduced plans to close down its robo-advisor providing after simply 4 years, highlighting broadly the challenges of robo-advisors to beat the difficult economics of buying and serving small purchasers, and specifically displaying that even an organization like JPMorgan with a big buyer base can battle to distribute its choices when these choices do not match the wants or desires of its (largely banking-focused) clients
- Envestnet is rumored to be exploring a sale of account aggregation supplier Yodlee, which highlights the struggles that account aggregation has had in residing as much as its authentic promise to offer holistic insights into consumer information – largely as a result of it has been such a problem to take care of the integrity of the information itself, leaving little capability to determine the way to convert that information into significant insights for advisors
- Revenue Lab has introduced that it has chosen BridgeFT to offer it with API entry to multi-custodian information for its retirement planning software program, signaling extra broadly the necessity for API hubs that may enable expertise startups to entry custodial information with out the cumbersome strategy of constructing and sustaining connections with particular person custodians – a necessity that BridgeFT has risen to fill with its WealthTech API resolution.
Learn the evaluation about these bulletins on this month’s column, and a dialogue of extra traits in advisor expertise, together with:
- Arch, a expertise supplier aiming to streamline the numerous administrative and paperwork burden of managing a number of different investments, has accomplished a $20 million Collection A funding spherical as advisors’ curiosity in alternate options continues to develop (although it stays to be seen if investor curiosity in alternate options will keep as excessive in a better rate of interest setting)
- The SEC has been soliciting suggestions from RIAs on their use of AI expertise because it seeks to finalize its proposed “Predictive Knowledge Analytics” rule, which has been extensively criticized as imposing an onerous compliance burden on companies surrounding the expertise they use (even when that expertise has little to do with AI to start with)
And be sure to learn to the tip, the place we have now offered an replace to our standard “Monetary AdvisorTech Options Map” (and in addition added the modifications to our AdvisorTech Listing) as nicely!
*And for #AdvisorTech corporations who need to submit their tech bulletins for consideration in future points, please undergo TechNews@kitces.com!