These home made pierogi are carried out in simply half-hour! Make completely golden and crisp pierogi with a easy dough made with solely two substances. You received’t discover a less complicated or extra scrumptious recipe!
Best Ever Pierogi
I’ve all the time liked pierogi. My aunt’s home made pierogies are the stuff childhood recollections are made from, so after all, once I was all grown up, I requested her for the recipe. I took one have a look at it, and I gave up. I threw my palms within the air and mentioned, No Approach! The recipe was two pages lengthy, and I used to be not about to slave over pierogies for 3 hours.
However I nonetheless needed to make pierogi. 🤷♀️ So I requested my mother. She made her pierogi (Macedonian: Piroshki) with solely two substances: bitter cream and flour. Whaaat? That’s it?! Now that was a recipe I might get behind.
That is my mom’s recipe, and it’s easy, EASY, and makes completely crisp fried dumplings crammed with a spicy feta cheese filling. And better of all? They’re prepared in half-hour!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Simple. You received’t discover a less complicated approach to make scrumptious pierogi. They’re completely scrumptious and prepared in half-hour.
- Flavorful. The spicy feta filling comes collectively in moments and completely enhances the crunchy, golden fried dough.
- Versatile. You’ll be able to experiment with completely different sorts of fillings. A traditional combo could be potato and cheese, however you may as well add extra adventurous choices like meat, sauerkraut, and even candy fillings.
- Goes with numerous toppings. They are often served with quite a lot of toppings, corresponding to bitter cream, butter, sautéed onions, herbs, salsa, and even bacon bits. Discover your favourite combo and go together with it!
What Are Pierogi?
Pierogi, additionally referred to as pierogis, are a well-liked sort of dumpling originating in Central and Jap European cuisines, notably in Poland. They’re made by wrapping a circle of unleavened dough round a savory or candy filling, then folding it in half to create a crescent form. Pierogis will be boiled, fried, or baked, relying on private choice and the recipe getting used.
The phrase “pierogi” is already plural in its authentic language, Polish. It’s common for English audio system to make use of the time period “pierogis” because the plural kind, however technically, “pierogi” is the right plural type of the phrase.
The way to Make Pierogi
Right here’s a fast have a look at the way to make this straightforward recipe.
- Make the filling. Combine all the things up in a bowl and put aside.
- Make the dough. Mix all of the dough substances and kind right into a smooth dough.
- Lower out circles. Roll out the dough and lower out circles to make the pierogi.
- Add filling. Place it on one aspect, then shut and form the pierogi.
- Cook dinner. Flippantly pan fry in oil till golden.
- Serve! You’ll be able to eat them plain or with a aspect of bitter cream, melted cheese, marinara sauce or salsa.
What Goes With Pierogi?
- Bitter cream and onions. Conventional toppings embrace bitter cream and caramelized onions. The tanginess of bitter cream enhances the flavors of the dumplings, whereas the caramelized onions add a savory and barely candy notice. Drizzle some bitter cream and sprinkle the onions over the pierogi earlier than serving.
- Melted butter or sauces. You’ll be able to serve them with melted butter, garlic butter, tomato sauce, mushroom sauce, and even salsa.
- Soup. In some culinary traditions, pierogi are served with a bowl of sizzling soup. A few of my favourite choices embrace Lentil and Chorizo Soup, Cream of Mushroom Soup with Rice, and Split Pea Soup with Ham.
Important Ideas for Good Pierogi
- With such a easy recipe, the standard of your substances could make an enormous distinction. Use good-quality flour and bitter cream for the most effective outcomes.
- Roll the dough out as skinny as you may with out it tearing. This can make your pierogi mild and tender.
- Don’t crowd the pan – prepare dinner solely 3 to 4 items at a time.
Extra Crispy Appetizer Concepts
For the Filling
Mix the feta cheese, sizzling sauce, and one egg in a medium-sized bowl and whisk till totally mixed; put aside.
For the Pierogies
Mix the flour and bitter cream in your mixer’s bowl; combine with the dough hook till you’ve gotten a smooth ball of dough. If too moist, add a tablespoon of flour, if too dry, add extra bitter cream, one tablespoon at a time.
Flippantly flour your working station and prove the dough.
Roll out the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Use a number of passes to roll it to the specified thickness. Do not attempt to flatten it with only one go.
Utilizing a 3-inch spherical cookie cutter, lower dough into 20 rounds, rerolling the scraps as wanted.
Place filling into the middle of every spherical and fold in half, closing the perimeters with the tines of the fork. Be certain all edges are sealed.
In a big skillet or saucepan, warmth the oil to 350˚F.
Place 2 to three pierogies within the sizzling oil and prepare dinner for two minutes, or till the pierogies float to the highest and the perimeters begin to brown; flip and prepare dinner for an additional minute or two, or till utterly browned.
Take away and drain on paper towels.
Serve the pierogi plain or with bitter cream, caramelized onions, or salsa.
- Don’t overfill the pierogi. You solely want about one tablespoon of filling inside every dumpling. Any greater than that, and also you threat the filling oozing out.
- The pierogi dough needs to be clean and stretchy. Add further flour or bitter cream if essential.
- Be sure the pierogi are utterly sealed on the seams earlier than frying them.
- Don’t crowd the skillet – fry them in batches.
- Storing and Reheating Leftovers: Cool the fried pierogi, then put them in a container or sealable bag. Hold within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Heat them in a skillet with a little bit of oil. In case you use a microwave, they might be much less crispy.
- Freezing Pierogies: Cool, then freeze the pierogi on a baking tray. As soon as strong, retailer them in a container or freezer bag and hold them frozen for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge and reheat as typical.
Energy: 88 kcal | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Protein: 3 g | Fats: 4 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 14 mg | Sodium: 124 mg | Potassium: 34 mg | Fiber: 0.3 g | Sugar: 0.4 g | Vitamin A: 106 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 51 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Internet Carbs: 10 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in line with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.