This Rooster Adobo attracts inspiration from the famed nationwide dish of the Philippines. Rooster drumsticks are marinated in a tangy, candy, and garlicky sauce and are cooked till tender. The result’s amazingly tasty and remarkably easy to make.
Simple Rooster Adobo Recipe
Rooster Adobo is a dish discovered in lots of cuisines worldwide. My favourite rendition is from the Philippines. That is my tackle this flavorful entree. It’s change into a go-to recipe in my family, and I can not wait so that you can strive it.
If hen adobo sounds intimidating to you, please let me guarantee you that that is truly a brilliant easy recipe. All you need to do is marinate succulent hen drumsticks in a flavorful sauce that’s candy, savory, tangy, garlicky, and simply downright scrumptious all on the identical time. As soon as the hen is marinated, it’s simmered in that exact same marinade till tender.
Lastly, the hen is tossed below the broiler to crisp up whereas the cooking juices are boiled down right into a silky easy, flavor-packed discount. The sauce is spooned over the hen, and voila! You’ve bought among the best hen dishes you’ll ever style.
Adobo is a moist marinade in some cultures, however it may be a dry rub for others. To others nonetheless, adobo is a protein-packed stew. The Filipino model conjures up this specific adobo. Though it varies from area to area and from family to family, within the Philippines, the time period “adobo” refers to a protein (often hen or pork) marinated in a flavorful combination involving vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and easy herbs and spices. The protein is simmered within the marinade till tender.
What Is Adobo Rooster Made Of?
Right here’s an inventory of elements wanted to make these easy hen adobo drumsticks.
- Rooster drumsticks – Different hen cuts are okay to make use of, ideally bone-in and skin-on for finest taste absorption. Thighs or legs make nice drumstick substitutes. Utilizing hen breasts or boneless, skinless cuts might yield a much less tender, flavorful end result.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Low sodium soy sauce – You should utilize liquid aminos as an alternative if you need.
- Mild brown sugar
- Whole black peppercorns
- Crushed red pepper
- Bay leaves
- Inexperienced onions
- Cooked rice – For serving.
Find out how to Make Rooster Adobo
If hen adobo sounds overseas, fancy, and unapproachable to you, assume once more. This recipe is gloriously easy. Right here’s a fast rundown on make it. Don’t overlook to scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
- Marinate the hen. Combine the hen, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, gentle brown sugar, peppercorns, pink pepper, and bay leaves in a big zip-top bag. Seal the bag and refrigerate for two hours.
- Prepare dinner the hen. Warmth a big non-stick pan over excessive warmth. Pour the hen and the marinade into the pan and convey it to a boil. Scale back the warmth to a simmer, cowl, and prepare dinner for half-hour. Flip the drumsticks midway by way of cooking.
- Broil. Preheat the broiler in your oven and line a baking sheet with foil. Prepare the drumsticks in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil for 4 minutes.
- Scale back the sauce. Whereas the hen is broiling, prepare dinner the remaining sauce over excessive warmth till lowered to a maple syrup consistency.
- Put all of it collectively. Switch the hen to a serving plate and brush with the ready sauce.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with inexperienced onions.
Suggestions for Success
Wish to go the additional mile to assist this adobo hen reside as much as its full potential? Comply with these easy suggestions and tips and also you’ll be in your method.
- Watch out with the vinegar. A very acidic marinade may cause the meat to toughen and change into rubbery. So measure fastidiously right here. An excessive amount of vinegar can yield an disagreeable texture.
- Don’t skimp on marinade time. Give the hen loads of time to soak up the marinade. Something lower than 2 hours will finish you with a far much less flavorful dish.
- Use bone-in skin-on hen. Whereas you should utilize boneless, skinless cuts, you will see that a extra deeply flavorful entree in case you go for bone-in, skin-on. Belief me. 🙃
- Don’t overlook to flip the hen. Midway by way of its time within the pan, flip the hen. This can be sure that it cooks evenly and that each inch of hen is steeped in scrumptious marinade.
- Watch that broiler. Broilers are highly effective. They will crisp up the hen in a short time. I like to recommend 4 minutes below the broiler for this recipe however regulate the drumsticks; in the event that they begin to get too brown, pull them out.
- Make it forward. Make a double or triple batch of this flavorful hen adobo. Earlier than cooking, retailer the extras within the freezer for as much as 3 months. When you find yourself able to get pleasure from, enable the marinated hen to thaw within the fridge earlier than continuing with the recipe as you usually would.
What to Serve With Rooster Adobo Drumsticks
It’s possible you’ll wish to tear the meat off of those hen adobo drumsticks and revel in them on their very own. There’s nothing unsuitable with that, however they’re even higher when served with a facet dish or two. Listed here are some concepts for you.
Find out how to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Cool the hen absolutely, and retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To reheat, place the hen in a foil-covered baking dish and reheat at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Freezing the Rooster: Cool it, seal it in an hermetic container, and freeze it for as much as 3 months.
- Thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating as above.
Extra Simple Rooster Recipes
Rooster is such a versatile protein. Virtually each tradition appears to have numerous methods to prepare dinner it up. Listed here are a few of my favourite straightforward hen recipes from around the globe. I hope you want them!
Mix the hen, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, gentle brown sugar, peppercorns, pink pepper, and bay leaves in a big Ziploc bag; refrigerate for two hours.
Pour contents of the bag into a big nonstick pan or a Dutch oven; set over excessive warmth and convey to a boil.
Scale back warmth to a simmer, cowl with a lid, and proceed to prepare dinner for half-hour, turning the drumsticks midway by way of cooking.
Preheat the broiler.
Line a baking sheet with foil; switch the drumsticks to the baking sheet and broil the hen for 4 minutes or till the hen is browned.
Within the meantime, improve the warmth to excessive and convey the remaining liquid within the pan to a boil.
Proceed to prepare dinner for about 8 minutes or till lowered to a maple syrup consistency.
Take away the hen from the broiler and switch it to a serving plate. Pour the ready sauce over the hen.
Serve the hen over cooked rice and garnish with inexperienced onions.
- Don’t use extra vinegar than said to keep away from robust, rubbery meat.
- Marinate the hen for a minimum of 2 hours for taste.
- Use bone-in, skin-on hen for a tastier dish.
- Flip hen midway for even cooking.
- Regulate the broiler to keep away from over-cooking.
- Contemplate making further, freeze it raw, and thaw it within the fridge earlier than cooking.
- Dietary Evaluation doesn’t embrace rice.
- Impressed by: Food Network
Serving: 2 hen drumsticks | Energy: 289 kcal | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Protein: 28 g | Fats: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 139 mg | Sodium: 738 mg | Potassium: 460 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 116 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 39 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Web Carbs: 8 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might differ in response to the elements and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.