What’s higher than peanut butter and jam? Making a juicy, fiber-rich strawberry chia jam that tastes like sweet – with WAY much less sugar – because of a touch of balsamic. It comes collectively in minutes and bonus: you should utilize this actual ratio of chia seeds to fruit to make chia seed jam with any fruit!
As you may count on, this plant-based dietitian is completely in love with chia seeds!! I pop these tiny little gems right into a scrumptious brownie batter overnight oats to spice up protein; I add them to a tummy-friendly low FODMAP smoothie for some soothing soluble fibre or allow them to shine because the star of the present in a matcha chia pudding.
Chia seeds have a ton of nutrition benefits so they’re a beautiful addition to plant-based recipes. Chia seeds comprise virtually 4 grams of fibre and a pair of grams every omega 3 fatty acids and plant-based protein in a single tablespoon, together with calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron and copper.
And this juicy strawberry chia jam is a brilliant easy option to embody extra of this nutrient-dense seed into your life. At its core, chia jam is actually simply 2 components – chia seeds and fruit – in a particular ratio of 1 tablespoon of chia to 1 cup of fruit.
However…I’m not one to go away effectively sufficient alone, am I! And it’s much more scrumptious to get inventive together with your flavourings right here. To make this strawberry chia jam a deal with, I’ve added a bit of splash of balsamic vinegar in addition to some vanilla and maple syrup.
In case you’re questioning – um, VINEGAR?!? – strawberry and balsamic is type of a traditional flavour pairing at this level however I promise you…this chia jam doesn’t style like vinegar AT ALL! Instead, the acidity and syrupy sweetness of balsamic makes this strawberry chia jam style extra like CANDY. It’s magic.
Seize these easy components to make strawberry chia seed jam
You really want simply 2 components to make chia jam: chia seeds and fruit however including a little bit of sweetness, notably when your fruit will not be summer time ripe, is a good suggestion. Then, let your creativity take over! A little bit of acidity from lemon juice or balsamic enhances flavours as does vanilla.
- Strawberries: summer-fresh strawberries are an actual deal with on this recipe however you’ll be able to completely use frozen strawberries too! You might like a bit of additional sweetener in case your frozen berries aren’t candy.
- Chia seeds: chia seeds, wealthy in omega 3 fatty acids, minerals like iron and plant-based protein are such an extremely highly effective plant meals! And sure, you should utilize both entire or floor chia seeds on this recipe.
- Maple syrup: I like maple syrup right here however you’ll be able to completely use any sweetener you want, from cane sugar to monk fruit! If utilizing a dry sweetener, you may like 1-2 tablespoons of water to maintain the jam from gelling too agency. Begin low, style and regulate up as wanted based mostly on how candy your fruit is.
- Balsamic vinegar: a wealthy, jammy, acidic observe that provides a candy-like flavour to this chia jam which I feel makes it actually particular!! Don’t have any? 1-2 teaspoons of recent lemon juice may even brighten up the flavour
- Vanilla: I actually love vanilla right here, which reinforces that dessert-like flavour.
- Salt: only a tiny pinch of salt to reinforce flavour…it gained’t make it salty!
An necessary purchasing observe: Chia seeds are a standard staple meals hailing again to the Mayan and Aztec civilizations and are nonetheless broadly consumed within the international locations the place they’re grown, together with Mexico. Because of this, it’s necessary to decide on a model of chia that’s farmer-focused and pays direct commerce or “truthful commerce” advantages to assist the farmers who export this unbelievable meals to our shores.
make this yummy strawberry chia jam (works for ANY fruit!)
The very best a part of this strawberry balsamic chia seed jam – beside the flavour! – is that this 10 minute technique works for various kinds of fruit!
You may make chia seed jam from any juicy fruit, i.e. apples or rhubarb aren’t gonna work however berries, peaches and pineapple will. The gelling nature of the soluble fibre in chia seeds means you may make a nourishing jam with none pectin or gelatin!
All you could do is keep in mind this ratio of chia seeds to fruit: 1 tablespoon chia seed for every 1 cup of fruit. Yep, it’s that easy. You possibly can sweeten it and flavour it nonetheless you want however at its coronary heart, chia jam is solely chia seeds and fruit!
- Step One: Mash and warmth the fruit till steaming. One thing I do in a different way than different recipes is that I mash the fruit as quickly as I put it within the pot. The explanation for that is that I’m not ready for the fruit to interrupt down by itself so I can prepare dinner it sooner to protect delicate vitamins like vitamin C. If the fruit combination appears to be like a bit dry, you may add a tablespoon of water too.
- Step Two: Add chia and flavourings. As soon as it’s scorching, take the pot off the warmth and stir within the flavourings and chia seeds.
- Step Three: Put it right into a jar and luxuriate in! You should use chia seed jam whereas it’s nonetheless heat if you need a looser, compote-style unfold to be used with pancakes, waffles or yogurt, or you’ll be able to let it come to room temperature after which refrigerate for as much as 7-10 days.
Yep, it’s that ridiculously straightforward! Why wouldn’t you attempt it?!?
FAQ: Is chia jam wholesome?
As a dietitian, I’ve bought to let you know that chia jam is an extremely nutrient-dense unfold to get pleasure from on toast, waffles or stirred into in a single day oats or yogurt. Plus, it simply tastes so FRESH!
Chia seed jam is fantastic for an entire bunch of causes, together with:
It’s blood sugar pleasant: opposite to standard perception, fruit is a nourishing choice for someone with blood sugar issues. Plus, the addition of high fibre foods like chia seeds assist to additional decelerate the absorption of pure sugars in fruit. And whenever you make a chia jam, you don’t want quite a lot of sugar for gelling so you’ll be able to management the quantity and kind of sweetener you employ.
It’s nutrient-dense: fruit accommodates priceless fiber, nutritional vitamins and phytochemicals whereas chia seeds supply omega 3 fatty acids, plant-based protein and minerals like iron and zinc.
So sure, chia seed 100% is a wholesome, nourishing meals to get pleasure from extra typically!
Ideas, Methods and Substitutions
- This jam will hold effectively within the fridge for as much as 7-10 days. And when you can not can chia jam as it’s too low in sugar to be meals protected, you’ll be able to freeze it in a freezer container!
- Don’t love the feel of chia jam? Strive utilizing floor chia! It completely works, with a quicker-setting gel than entire chia.
- Methods to make use of chia jam: You should use chia jam as a variety or topping for toast, yogurt, oatmeal, pancakes, waffles and in a single day oats! Unfold it on crackers, use as a topping for ice cream or a smoothie bowl.
Extra fantastic methods to make use of chia seeds
Fast Strawberry Balsamic Chia Seed Jam
This juicy, fibre-rich strawberry chia jam tastes like sweet because of a touch of balsamic! It is low sugar, blood sugar pleasant and comes collectively in simply minutes.
- 2 cups strawberries, recent or frozen
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, entire or floor
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or extra, to style, if berries aren’t candy
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- tiny pinch salt
Place strawberries in a small sauce pan with salt over medium warmth. Utilizing a potato masher or fork, mash the fruit because it heats. When it’s heated to totally steaming and appears all juicy and mashed, take away from warmth.
Combine in balsamic, maple syrup and vanilla, then stir in chia seeds. Let cool for five minutes, style and regulate sweetness if crucial then pour right into a jam jar.
Take pleasure in instantly, or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate for as much as 10 days.