This enjoyable and colourful child potato salad is impressed by the sun-baked shores of the Mediterranean with chickpeas, olives, tomatoes and a tangy harissa olive oil French dressing as an alternative of mayo. It’s veggie packed and comes collectively in simply 25 minutes!
Once I say I really like potatoes, I imply it. I really like creamy mashed potatoes. I really like roasted potatoes. I really like a baked potato (attempt those in Good For Your Gut cookbook!) and I DEFINITELY love a extremely good potato salad whether or not it’s my creamy avocado ranch potato salad or this tangy, vibrant deal with.
I imply, what’s to not like?
Potatoes are so comforting, they like to drink up sauces and get much more scrumptious within the course of. So, it’s fascinating to me that we sometimes consider potato salad only one approach: all mayo’d up with perhaps somewhat pickle or celery. It’s scrumptious…however we are able to have somewhat extra enjoyable than that, sure?
Which is why I dreamt up this straightforward child potato salad, loaded with Mediterranean-inspired elements. It’s completely mayo free, with a tangy, not-too-spicy harissa dressing and completely loaded with vegetation, from candy cherry tomatoes and herbaceous Italian parsley to crunchy almonds and salty olives.
I have a tendency to make use of child potatoes most frequently in my plant-based recipes as a result of in my view, child potatoes have a superior texture – firmer, waxier – that stands up properly in virtually any approach you wish to serve them. Plus they’re fast to halve or quarter, and most significantly, you possibly can go away the pores and skin on (sure, the dietitian desires you to eat extra fibre!) and tremendous quick to cook dinner.
Collect your elements for this child potato salad
This flavourful veggie-packed facet is far simpler than you suppose! Simply 7 elements for the salad, plus a scrumptious harissa-spiked dressing that actually takes it excessive.
- Child potatoes: no extra mushy potato salads! Child potatoes have a firmer, waxier texture they usually’re a lot quicker to cook dinner! Use any color of child potatoes you want; pink and purple skins pack an additional antioxidant punch.
- Italian parsley: Parsley is an ignored leafy inexperienced filled with phytochemicals and flavour. Flat leaf Italian parsley is my choose for this recipe, however you might completely use cilantro or curly parsley if that’s what you may have available.
- Shallot: I just like the milder, sweeter flavour of shallots right here. You should definitely chop them very tremendous! If you happen to discover shallots too acidic, right here’s a tip: soak them within the French dressing and it’ll neutralize their sting.
- Cherry tomatoes: I take advantage of cherry tomatoes as a result of they’re fast to slice, additional candy and decrease in water so that they maintain higher within the salad
- Chickpeas: for somewhat additional plant-based protein and fibre! I at all times use no-salt-added chickpeas.
- Almonds or walnuts: I wanted somewhat crunch right here, so I added some nuts however you might simply substitute sunflower seeds for a nut-allergic home.
- Kalamata olives or capers: for a salty, briny tang! Don’t skip them
- Harissa French dressing: my tangy, not-too-spicy harissa vinaigrette recipe makes this mayo-free potato salad a present stopper and takes 3 minutes to shake up.
FAQ: what are the perfect sort of potatoes for potato salad?
In my view, you desire a waxy potato like Yukon gold or child potatoes. I particularly like child potatoes as they’re faster to cook dinner and often come pre-washed so prep is quick. Prepare dinner solely till fork-tender…an overcooked potato makes a mushy potato salad! Higher to err on the marginally undercooked facet if you’re uncertain because the starch will proceed to gelatinize as they cool.
The right way to make this mediterranean child potato salad, step-by-step
This straightforward salad punches WAY above its weight by way of color, flavour and enjoyable. As a result of I’ve used child potatoes, it comes collectively rapidly too, in simply 25 minutes.
Step One: cook dinner the potatoes. Pop the halved potatoes into boiling, salted water and cook dinner till simply fork tender, about 10-14 minutes.
Step Two: drain and funky potatoes. Drain and rinse potatoes with chilly water in a colander. Wish to pace up the method? Unfold potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet as you prep the remainder of the salad.
Step Three: Shake up the harissa French dressing. Yep, it’s that straightforward!
Step 4: Assemble the salad. Simply toss all of the elements along with the dressing and also you’re able to eat! You may benefit from the salad instantly however I’ve to confess, it tastes even higher in the event you make it upfront so it will possibly sit for 30-60 minutes whereas the potatoes drink up the dressing.
Scorching tip!! Salt your potato cooking water for the perfect potato salad. We consider potatoes as not having a lot flavour however have you ever tried cooking them in salted water? You season them from the within out and intensify the potato flavour for an much more scrumptious salad. As soon as the water involves a boil, salt and add the potatoes.
Why potatoes are so dang good for you
Sure, I stated it: potatoes are good for you! We’re dwelling on this bizarre time the place individuals are hating on entire plant meals as a result of they’ve carbs…however NEWS FLASH: your physique was designed to run on carbs!
Carbohydrates present power for each one in every of your cells. Plus, carbohydrate-rich meals like potatoes are typically filling, inexpensive, satisfying and nutritious.
One cup (250 mL) of child potatoes accommodates:
- About 2 grams of fibre (eat your potatoes with the pores and skin!) and 2 grams of protein
- About 10% of your each day consumption of coronary heart wholesome potassium, vitamin B6 and energizing copper in addition to 1 mg of iron.
- Plus, waxier potatoes like child potatoes and Yukon golds have a decrease glycemic influence and cooked and cooled potatoes comprise microbiome-boosting resistant starch
Nutrient information from Little Potato Co (unsponsored!) cross-referenced with the Canadian Nutrient Knowledge File
FAQ: Is the resistant starch in potatoes good for you?
Cooked and cooled potatoes develop one thing referred to as resistant starch which – similar to it sounds – resists digestion. How is that presumably a great factor? Properly, it travels via your intestine to feed your intestine micro organism, that means it acts like a prebiotic!
Inform that to anybody who tells you that potato salad isn’t “wholesome”.
Suggestions, Methods and Substitutions
- Wish to make this salad forward of time? You may both cook dinner the potatoes the day earlier than, or put together the entire salad the day earlier than…because it retains properly for 3-4 days, it’s an ideal make forward!
- Allergic to nuts? Substitute pumpkin or sunflower seeds for the almonds
- Low FODMAP? You would make a low FODMAP variation of this salad by omitting the shallot and garlic within the dressing, maintaining chickpeas to 1/4 cup per serving (finest so as to add on the desk) and substituting inexperienced pepper for the tomatoes (1/2 cup inexperienced pepper is low FODMAP)
- I really like serving this salad with my kidney bean and oat burgers, however it could even be scrumptious with some easy grilled tofu or on it’s personal as a lightweight meal!
Extra vegan summer season salads
25 Minute Mediterranean-style Child Potato Salad
This colourful child potato salad is impressed by the flavours of the Mediterranean, with chickpeas, olives, tomatoes and a tangy harissa olive oil French dressing as an alternative of mayo. It’s veggie packed and comes collectively in simply 25 minutes! Good for BBQs and potlucks.
- 2 kilos child potatoes, halved or quartered, relying on dimension
- 1 small bunch Italian (flat leaf) parsley, leaves and tender stems, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- ½ cup almonds or walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved, or ¼ cup capers
- 1 batch harissa vinaigrette
- salt, for seasoning
Carry a big pot of water to the boil. Add salt and potatoes and cook dinner till potatoes are simply fork-tender, about 10-Quarter-hour relying on dimension.
Whereas the potatoes cook dinner, put together the harissa French dressing and veggies.
As soon as cooked, drain potatoes in a colander and rinse with chilly water. If you wish to cool them quicker, unfold the potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet to chill till barely heat or totally room temperature, your alternative!
In a big salad bowl, mix the potatoes, parsley, tomatoes, chickpeas, shallot, almonds, olives and ¾ of the dressing. Serve instantly, or for finest flavour, let sit for 30-60 minutes for the potatoes to take in the dressing.
Leftovers maintain properly, coated within the fridge, for as much as 3-4 days.